Archive for the ‘Arabian’ Category

Early Arabian Tack

I used to make A LOT of Arabian tack. It’s been several years since I’ve made anything new, and while I’ve tried to get back into it, the interest just isn’t there right now.

But it was really appealing to me when I first got started in the hobby. I was really inspired by Liz Shaw of “Arabian Acres” (now “Tick Tock Studio,” but I don’t know if she’s active in the hobby anymore 😦 ) and spent so much time on her website, admiring all her costumes and collection of gorgeous Arabian models, most painted and haired by Faye Cohen. ❤

One thing I loved about Arabian tack was that I could find all of the materials I needed at a local craft store. The cost to make it was also much, much less than the cost of making leather pieces, so that was a plus for the jobless-teenage me. 😛 (fun fact – tack making, especially when you’re first starting out, can get really expensive really fast!)

I posted pictures in the past of my first and second Arabian costumes, but I don’t think I’ve ever shown all the (surviving) halters, so here goes!

First, a ribbon halter:

It’s so cringe-y and the chains are WAY too long and unsafe, and I want to say I put it together with a glue gun.

Here’s an early attempt at a braided halter.

The chain is better, but really tarnished.

Here’s a different style. If I remember right this was going to have a Hollywood style breastcollar and costume made to go with it.

I got really interested in Native style tack, so here’s a first attempt at a braided halter with cowrie shells. Getting better!

I’ve always liked the texture and color of this halter. It was made by blending two shades of blue together.

Here’s another costume attempt, also in the Hollywood style. I wanted to make something that would fit over an english saddle (like what’s commonly used in the show ring) but it just wasn’t working, so I gave up.

Lastly, here’s another native style halter. I did post photos of this one (years and years ago) and even though the chain is STILL way too long, I’ve always liked it.

That super tiny three strand braid took FOREVER.

I can’t see myself getting back into Arabian tack anytime soon, but you never know! Seeing these old pieces again has definitely inspired me some. 🙂

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Green Presentation Set

A few months back I accepted a commission for a couple Arabian tack sets. Over the weekend I completed the first, which was based off a halter/collar set for real horses:

19667.A.zoom

The goal was to try to re-create it in miniature as closely as possible, which brought a lot of challenges. I like being challenged in tack-making though, and this set had me thinking outside the box for quite a few things.

GreenPresentation02

While it’s not an exact copy of the original, I think it’s still pretty close, even with the slight changes in design.

GreenPresentation01

GreenPresentation03

GreenPresentation04

I am really pleased with the gold medallions and “beaded” tassels. The medallions were made from black Sculpey clay, with a layer of gold Pearl Ex pigment brushed on.

The tassels were created with a mix of thin wire and polymer clay as well, in both liquid and solid form.

GreenPresentation05

GreenPresentation06

All in all, I’m pleased with how it turned out, as so is the new owner, which makes me happy. 🙂

In other news…

I’ve had several people ask me when I’ll be posting more things for sale on Etsy, and my answer is that I don’t know yet. Soon, I hope, but “soon” can mean so many different things. I am planning on posting a preview on my blog (with a date!) first, so really, the best way to stay informed is to subscribe to my blog via email, or like my page on facebook, since I crosspost over there. I’m not trying to gain new followers by saying that, haha, but since I will not be following-up with individuals whenever I post something new for sale, it really is the best way to stay informed. Thanks so much for the interest in my work, I really appreciate it. 🙂

Read Full Post »

Time for Tassels

Tying tassels is one of those things I dread doing but enjoy once I get into it. Once I zone out the entire process goes by pretty quickly, which is good because there really isn’t a quick way to make these things.

I start by making an assembly-line of sorts. First, each tassel is cut and tied in half:

GreenCostume09When I have a decent sized pile (I think I had around 30-something in this batch) I’ll start wrapping them. I sometimes work in small batches of ten or twelve at a time to keep things more interesting.

Once they are all wrapped…

GreenCostume08… and trimmed…

GreenCostume07

… it’s time to add beads.

GreenCostume06Then, one by one they are sewn on.

GreenCostume05

Finished! With a few extra tassels to spare. (always a good thing!)

GreenCostume10

And it only took 3 hours.

But like I said… once I zone out it goes by fast. And this helps too:

Ipod

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »