Archive for the ‘boots’ Category

If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you’ve probably seen a couple sneak peeks of some new sales pieces I’ve had in the works.

I’ve been working on this lot since August and finally finished them up today. My goal was to have them ready by early October. The holidays have this awful way of suddenly appearing without me realizing it, so this year, this year, I wanted to give myself a head start. It worked! And having a theme to follow made it a lot more fun.

There are six blankets, 3 with gussets and tail flaps, and 3 without:

English Pads:

Western Pads:

And glitter bell boots:

I’ll be listing them in my shop this coming Saturday, October 6th, around noon MST. Please keep an eye out if you’re interested!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

A couple weeks ago I finished up a set of reflective boots:

These have been sitting on my desk for months.

It’s been a long time since I finished a set of boots like these. The design has been giving me trouble but I think I’ve solved the issue… hopefully!

I’m glad to have them done, but they’re kind of sloppy and I think I can do better. The reflective strips work, but I’ve learned that if a speck of glue gets on it it’s there for good, argh! 😦

I did feel inspired to make a reflective quarter sheet to go with it. It’s been on my do-to list for months anyway, so why not!

Here was one of the references I used:

Amigo Reflective Competition Sheet

At first I thought I would make it like I did the fly sheet, with a single layer and faux painted binding.

But I felt that it was too transparent that way, so I picked it apart and added a second layer from white fabric. It looked a lot better, but I couldn’t cheat with the binding anymore.

In the end it took just as long to make as a regular blanket, but I think adding the extra details was worth it.

I’m not sure how I feel about the piece around the neck though. It limits the horses it can fit, so I might have to try making another without it.

The reflective pieces are from an iron on high visibility tape I picked up at Joann’s. It worked out SO much better than the thin tape I used on the boots, as that had to be glued in place.

The human couldn’t be left out, so I put together a basic vest.

It’s a little big for the Yvonne doll, but I wanted it to be able to fit the Breyer and Mego dolls as well.

I’m happy I finally got around to making these pieces though! Now they can go out for a late ride… if she can ever get him tacked up…

“Human wat r u doin”

“HUMAN”

“STAHP”

Read Full Post »

After making the fly masks I was inspired to work on a few more pieces. I ended up with a fly sheet with a removable neck hood, and a set of fly boots. Here’s the set altogether:

The entire thing is made from cotton, but I would like to experiment with a more transparent material if I can find some later on.

The sheet is similar to other blankets I’ve made, but it’s not lined and doesn’t have any sewn on binding. The faux binding was created with acrylic paint. If I do this again I’ll have to mix the paint with a fabric medium of some sort. (to prevent cracking or flaking)
I have mixed feelings on using paint over actual binding, but on pieces like the straps, there is NO way I could’ve sewn binding on without creating a ton of extra bulk.

Here’s the sheet without the hood. (the D rings are just for show – they don’t actually attach to the hood like they would on a real blanket 😉 )

It’s got a tail cord instead of leg straps too:

I think the boots are my favorite:

No tiny plastic pests will be bothering this horse!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »