Archive for the ‘Bridle’ Category

Besides a bunch of ribbon halters…

… and random pieces from Rio Rondo kits:

… there are a few more pieces of old tack that I forgot about until I started organizing it all. The most interesting are a couple of racing saddles.

The first, materials aside, isn’t too awful. It did have stirrups at one point, but they were probably used for another saddle later on. I still have the leathers but there was no way I was going to try and re-attach them. XD

It originally had a green felt pad instead of the hot pink, and a simple snaffle bridle that’s disappeared.

There was a second, made from a thinner suede-like material. I never finished it, but THAT’S no surprise!

Next is the first (and only!) Classic scale western bridle I’ve made. Bouncer can almost fit in it… from this side, anyway, shh! 😉


My first blankets were made for my Classics, cut from green felt. It was years and years before I made one for my Traditionals, but I did make a couple fly sheets. I think I was excited to use the material I had found, and they were probably based off of this one by Breyer.

Sheza Good Sport got one in purple:

And Like a Diamond got a green, complete with leg straps:

Both are kind of falling apart but I can’t get rid of either of them! 😀

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I’m attempting to make at least one tack piece every month this year. This weekend I had time to put together the first, a western bridle made to fit Breyer’s “Wyatt” mold:

This was based off a photo of a Billy Royal bridle. I chose it because there were two new things I wanted to try making: the knotted browband and the leather ties attaching it to the bit.


The browband was a lot easier than I thought it would be. (good reference photos help so much!) The stitching shouldn’t go all the way to the end though. I always make my browbands too big at first, and made the mistake of adding the stitches before fitting it properly. Something to keep in mind for next time anyway…!

But aside from that minor detail, I’m really happy with this bridle.

The leather ties work just like the full-sized ones do. There’s no way I’ll be changing the bit out though, so they are glued in place, but I love the added detail.

I also love details like this, which you can’t even see but it’s still there so it makes me happy:

So, January? Done! February…? I have ideas…

Read Full Post »

Long time no post? It’s been… nearly a month already, yikes. I have been busy with work and Etsy orders and life, but in between all that I’ve been poking at personal hobby projects.

One was a white bridle for Breyer’s Friesian, which I finished up this week. It was made to look like ones commonly used in a Friesian “Keuring” or inspection.

Horses are typically shown in a white bitted bridle. I opted for a plain snaffle on mine (which is a jump ring and seed bead) as that’s what I kept seeing in reference photos.

And I did cheat a bit with the lead rope, using twisted embroidery thread instead of leather. I don’t think it really matters as I’ve seen both on real horses. 🙂

One thing I couldn’t ignore was the amount of keepers… this bridle has fourteen of them!

Keepers are one of those things I love for their detail and hate because they are fiddly to make.

It came together nicely in the end though. I think my strap work has improved a lot this year.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »