Archive for the ‘Halters’ Category

Halters for Everyone

I haven’t been feeling well. Instead of trying to get stuff done for my shop, I’ve been making halters for my horses instead, at least until I’m feeling a bit better. (which will hopefully be soon. I hate being sick and having to “take it easy” – I have STUFF to do, dangit!)

This is one of those projects that I’ve been slowly working on. (like all my projects, right?) I really want all the horses in my collection have their own halter. And a blanket. And tack and such.

I was inspired by Last Alliance Studios’ post here, and ended up putting together a spreadsheet of sorts on my computer. I have one set up for my collection in general, but this new one is mostly for keeping track of tack and things. It’s incredibly satisfying to add checks to the boxes, and all the empty ones really annoy me so perhaps this project will actually be completed someday.

Anyway, halters. My tack boxes are a huge mess at the moment:

I have made SO MANY halters but the majority of them have been sold, so those I do have are older and not very nice. Many of my horses have halters already but I figured that several will need to be re-made. Here are the completed ones I’ve got so far:


These three I made last January, but they were in need of lead ropes, so that was done first:


My Sucesion and Flash got shiny new halters as well, with little “metal” tags:


Here’s one for the Cob:

And one for the newest member, Latigo. (aka “Apache”)

My Cigar (“Patriot”) got an updated halter:


..and new. It fits a lot better. ๐Ÿ™‚

And since I probably won’t be able to remember which halter belongs to which horse, I’ve been making them tiny labels to stick inside.
I made a list of names on my computer, printed that out and covered them with clear tape, to prevent the ink from coming in contact with the model.

They’re super tiny but they seem to work all right:

Only 50-something left to go! o_o

Read Full Post »

Rambling and Halters

Sorry I’ve been slacking off with posting… I’ve got at least half a dozen blog posts planned but so far haven’t had the time to work on any of them!

Earlier this month I was hired for a full time sewing/mending position at a local linen company. My job is to basically patch and mend work uniforms, and sew on name patches andย missing buttons. It’s very basic but there’s something satisfying about fixing things. Maybe I’m just weird and like repetitive tasks but hey! I’m left alone to work, have plenty of work to keep me busy, and get weekends and evenings off. Well, except for Fridays, since I’ve narrowed my part-time retail job down to once a week… we’ll see how that goes…

I’m just thankful I’ve got a full time position with a set schedule. It’s not what I went to school for but it’s something I can do and enjoy doing so that’s better than nothing right?

ANYWAY. Transitioning from one job to the other has kept me super busy. This weekend is the first I’ve had off in a while and I’m enjoying every minute of it.

Yesterday I was able to catch up with some halter orders:



I also made a halter for my Fjord. He arrived a while ago but I’ve yet to get proper pictures of him! I went with a space/galaxy themed halter for him. It seemed fitting. ๐Ÿ™‚


It’s hard to tell but there are patches of blue and red behind the stars… my camera didn’t pick it up really well.


I’m thinking of making more to stick on Etsy if there’s an interest. It was fun to make and I’d like to paint a couple more. ๐Ÿ™‚


Read Full Post »


One of my goals is to make a halter for every horse in the herd. Since I received a sheet of fabric halter plates (another secret santa gift) I figured it was time to start working on accomplishing this. In the end, Roxy…




and Zenyatta each got a pretty new halter, decked out with the plates and etched hardware.


In Roxy and Honey’s case, I had a go at making working tongue buckles:


Surprisingly they’re not difficult to use, and all seems to be well so far. I think I’ll keep playing around with it. I’d like to make some gaming tack or halter/bridle combos for trails and such.

Also, I’ve been continuing to work on English pads.


Each one gets a little better, which is encouraging! It’s nice to see progress.


As always they still need more work, as my stitching isn’t quite as straight as I would like it to be. But I’m much happier with the shape and size now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »