Archive for the ‘In progress’ Category

February’s over already… wait what?

I never made time to work on this month’s tack project, which annoys me, but I’m trying not to be too hard on myself because I’ve been working (and completing!) many sewing projects, mostly for the shop.

Here’s one of two blankets I finished. Adding a neck hood was a spur of the moment idea and I’m really happy with the result. I haven’t worked out a pattern for a full hood yet, but I’m sure I will eventually.

I mentioned draft sized blankets a while back, which I am working on… I’m just waiting on hardware at the moment! In the meantime my poor FVO is practically buried with in-progress saddle pads. There are blanket pieces piled on there somewhere too.

“Help me…”

A couple weeks back I received some new galaxy print fabric. (I’m always on the lookout for it, what can I say??) I’m so in love with this one and want to make galaxy patterned EVERYTHING… so far I have a couple English pads plus a cut back western one. (still in progress) There will definitely be some in my Etsy shop in the near future. (along with half a dozen other novelty-patterned pads)

My blog also reached a new milestone this month: 500,000/half a million views! I know, I know, numbers really aren’t important but I’m still excited to see that I’ve reached 500k. XD

And last but not least, Desktop Stables has an Instagram account, which I’ve been having fun messing about with. After refusing to upgrade my basic “dumb” phone for years, I’ve finally made the switch to a smartphone. I’m slightly irritated with myself for how much I like it already. 😛

I think that’s it for now… yay for a boring catch up post! Here’s hoping March goes well…


Read Full Post »

It’s been a productive, sewing-filled weekend. But I’m glad! Four pads down, three more to go!

It’s been a while since I’ve made any bareback pads, so I have a few of those in the works as well:

Also, I might have started something Christmas related… 😉

Read Full Post »

The cheek pieces and bit were up next. These were each cut from two pieces of very thinly skived lace, 1/4″ and 1/8″ for those curious.

My references have this stitched piece on top of the larger one, so I was trying to imitate that:

Two more tiny straps were buckled in place. The loose ends will go around the bit shanks and glued down underneath. On full size bridles, I think that strap is actually part of the cheek piece. I believe it loops behind the noseband, through the bit, keeper and through the buckle.
It’s possible to do this in model scale, but it would result in the flesh side of the leather facing upward, which is what I’m trying to avoid.

Anyway! Here it is minus the bit:

Speaking of the bit, I have had no luck trying to obtain a gold plated stud bit. I figured I would have to use a silver one for the time being, or find a way to customize one. I decided to try the customizing.

To add some more depth, I added a tiny drop of glue to each shank. I did rough up the piece with a pin beforehand, hopefully to help the glue grab on a little better.

When that was completely dry, it was time to add color. I picked up this set of alcohol inks from Joanns, after hearing a lot about them in all those miniature videos I watch. 😛 They have a much better coverage than metallic paint, dry quickly, and seem to cover metal well too. It was worth a try, anyway!

Here it is after a couple coats of the ink, and a coat of varnish. I didn’t cover the back of the pieces- you can’t see them anyway and I didn’t want to risk any weird reactions or transfers to the horse!

Not perfect of course but I am pleased with the result. I have no idea how it will hold up though. I painted a scrap piece of etched metal with the gold and tried to scrape it off, and it held up fairly well so we’ll see!

Here it is all together, held in place with string for now.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »