Archive for the ‘Miniatures’ Category

Two years ago I repainted a couple HO/1:87 scale horses to look like OF Breyers:

Today I got two more of them painted, made to look like Misty and Stormy of Chincoteague:

My camera picked up every speck, bump and microscopic spot I missed, BUT they’re super tiny, and I wasn’t aiming for a “lsq” paint job or anything. >_>

I am fascinated with miniatures and even more so with miniatures of miniatures!

To give an idea of size, here is Breyer’s Misty with her micro counterpart:

And Stormy with hers:

(the book can be found in this post!)

So… does the model Misty approve of her model?

The collection:

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

*Printables are available for personal, non-commercial (no selling) use only please! They are for fun – I do not make any money from these and will remove them if necessary or requested.*

_____

Good plastic ponies deserve treats every now and then, right?

Here’s a new set of printables for you today!

There are three flavors…

…and three sizes. Traditional, Classic…

…and Schleich. (of course you can use whichever size you like or re-size them further)

DOWNLOAD Horse Treat Packaging
Can’t open a PDF? Download this – it’s safe & free!

I printed mine on regular computer paper and secured them with a glue stick. I used the leftover paper to stuff the bags, then added a gloss coating.
My favorite gloss I use for printables is this one:

It doesn’t smear the ink like thinner glosses do, and really brightens up the color.

I really wanted to make some miniature horse treats to go with them, but didn’t want to deal with polymer clay, so I came up with a different solution.

I’m using a thin, sticky-backed piece of cork I found with the scrapbook paper in Hobby Lobby. I used this to make a miniature bulletin board and thought it might pass as treats too.

First I cut a couple strips, peeled off the backing and stuck them together, to give it a little more thickness. I sketched out a few treats then cut them out.

Instant heart cookies!

I hope you (and your ponies!) enjoy!

Read Full Post »

A while back I mentioned that I’m building a miniature tack room. I also mentioned that this is part of a larger, somewhat insane project, which will involve building multiple rooms that will (potentially) fit together to make a full stable set up. Or rather, the illusion of one.

This is something that I have been wanting to do for years, but wasn’t sure how to accomplish. The inspiration actually came from binge-watching behind the scenes footage of the Hobbit films last year.

One particular set (Erebor/Smaug’s lair) was created with multiple pieces that could be moved around to create the illusion of a much larger space when filmed from different angles. (well that and a whole lot of CGI!) I wondered if it would be possible to use a similar idea with this fantasy barn I’ve been dreaming about. I clearly do not have the space to build a massive barn set up, but multiple box rooms seem a lot more manageable.

Because I can never keep things simple, this project started out with a sketch of the entire barn layout. I really wanted things to make sense. Where are all the doors located? Windows? Stalls? Rooms? The arena? Once I was happy with the design I started to work on putting together the box rooms.

The first (and only I’ve tackled so far) is the tack room.

This is a 14in x 14in x 14in cardboard box cut down to size. Cardboard isn’t the sturdiest or nicest of materials to work with I know, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than wood and easier for me to cut.

The floor was made from large popsicle sticks, and the walls were covered with white poster board. I’ve posted tutorials on how I made the saddle and bridle racks, and since then I’ve added a utility sink…

…and a few more saddle racks. (got to have a place to store all those saddle pads, you know!)

Of course everything is lopsided. OF COURSE.

There’s also this crop/whip holder, which I threw together one night. Would there be an interest in a tutorial for it? The crops still need work… I have no idea what I’m doing.

The room isn’t totally complete, and it probably won’t be as I’m sure I’ll be going back to change, add or fix certain things later on.

To make as much use of the box as I could, I decorated two of the outside walls.

The first was made to look like the outside of the tack room:

It’s got a tiny bulletin board:

As well as a fire extinguisher, which was a dollhouse miniature I repainted with nail polish and added a proper label to.

The back wall with the window was made to look like the outside of the stable. It’s ugly because I messed up the siding and the window and, well, everything else…

Whoever is constructing this thing needs to be fired

But it’s not that noticeable in a background.

That’s all these are, really – elaborate backgrounds, haha!

But it’s fun and that’s what matters. The inner child is happy too. 😛

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »