Archive for the ‘Misc Horse Gear’ Category

A couple weeks ago I finished up a set of reflective boots:

These have been sitting on my desk for months.

It’s been a long time since I finished a set of boots like these. The design has been giving me trouble but I think I’ve solved the issue… hopefully!

I’m glad to have them done, but they’re kind of sloppy and I think I can do better. The reflective strips work, but I’ve learned that if a speck of glue gets on it it’s there for good, argh! 😦

I did feel inspired to make a reflective quarter sheet to go with it. It’s been on my do-to list for months anyway, so why not!

Here was one of the references I used:

Amigo Reflective Competition Sheet

At first I thought I would make it like I did the fly sheet, with a single layer and faux painted binding.

But I felt that it was too transparent that way, so I picked it apart and added a second layer from white fabric. It looked a lot better, but I couldn’t cheat with the binding anymore.

In the end it took just as long to make as a regular blanket, but I think adding the extra details was worth it.

I’m not sure how I feel about the piece around the neck though. It limits the horses it can fit, so I might have to try making another without it.

The reflective pieces are from an iron on high visibility tape I picked up at Joann’s. It worked out SO much better than the thin tape I used on the boots, as that had to be glued in place.

The human couldn’t be left out, so I put together a basic vest.

It’s a little big for the Yvonne doll, but I wanted it to be able to fit the Breyer and Mego dolls as well.

I’m happy I finally got around to making these pieces though! Now they can go out for a late ride… if she can ever get him tacked up…

“Human wat r u doin”

“HUMAN”

“STAHP”

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

After making the fly masks I was inspired to work on a few more pieces. I ended up with a fly sheet with a removable neck hood, and a set of fly boots. Here’s the set altogether:

The entire thing is made from cotton, but I would like to experiment with a more transparent material if I can find some later on.

The sheet is similar to other blankets I’ve made, but it’s not lined and doesn’t have any sewn on binding. The faux binding was created with acrylic paint. If I do this again I’ll have to mix the paint with a fabric medium of some sort. (to prevent cracking or flaking)
I have mixed feelings on using paint over actual binding, but on pieces like the straps, there is NO way I could’ve sewn binding on without creating a ton of extra bulk.

Here’s the sheet without the hood. (the D rings are just for show – they don’t actually attach to the hood like they would on a real blanket πŸ˜‰ )

It’s got a tail cord instead of leg straps too:

I think the boots are my favorite:

No tiny plastic pests will be bothering this horse!

Read Full Post »

More Fly Masks

I have been in a really bad creative slump. I haven’t finished a piece for my horses since the end of May… and here we are at the end of July. 😦

When this happens I do one of two things: ignore it and push through with small fun projects, or back off completely until I’m feeling better. I hate doing that, so I figured I would try making something fun and easy.

It’s been years since I made fly masks for my models, and I’ve wanted to make updated ones, so I thought that would be a nice project to work on.

HAH.

The first one was inspired by Kensington’s fly masks for real horses. I think it turned out ok, but I really dislike the seam going down the sides.

For some reason I had my mind set on adding ears to a fly mask, and that turned out to be a lot more difficult that I thought it would be. Pattern making is HARD.

And sewing the stupid ears in was HARD too. I didn’t match the size of the ears to the size of the holes they’re sewn in to properly. To correct it I had to take the mask in more in the back, which caused it to fit strangely. (it fits the smaller headed horses now, so I guess that’s a plus)

The pattern got tweaked again (and again) until I was happier with the ears. On this mask, they’re still not fitting the holes perfectly BUT it’s a lot better.

I had to add another dart at the top for a better fit:

This one got a nose cover too. I mean WHY NOT MIGHT AS WELL.

It definitely wasn’t the “easy” project I was hoping for, but hey I finished three things! Silly looking things but still!

Read Full Post »