Archive for the ‘Props’ Category

Here’s another easy DIY piece for your barn, a wall mounted bridle rack.

Like the saddle racks these use only a handful of materials. They’re easily customizable as well, if you wanted a longer (or shorter) rack, with or without a shelf. For the ones I made, I used:

  • 3 jumbo popsicle sticks, all cut to 5 inches
  • thick wire (I can’t remember the gauge, but it’s slightly thicker than a paperclip)
  • mini hand drill

I also used Aleene’s Tacky Glue, watered down paint for “stain” and gold alcohol ink.

The first thing you want to do is cut and sand your main pieces.

Next, plot out where you would like your hooks to go. I found it helpful to divide the stick into sections first, then find the center of each one. It was also helpful to lay a bridle on top of it, to give me a better idea of how many I could fit on the rack.

Drilling the holes was next. I chose a drill bit that was roughly the same size of the wire I wanted to use for the hooks.

Drill all the way through the wood, sanding them smooth afterwards. I ended up changing where I wanted the holes to be in this photo.

To make the hooks, cut small sections of wire (it’s better to have too much than not enough!) and bend them into shape.  Getting them all the same size is really the hardest part of this project. XD

It’s also a good idea to compare them to a bridle. I wanted my hooks to be wide enough for a thick crown strap, and deep enough to hold it and the reins in place.

The next two steps are optional. I added a drop of glue to the end of each hook, to cover the sharp edge.

Once that dried, they were given a couple coats of gold alcohol ink.

To add a shelf, glue the top edge of the rack to a second stick. Propping it against something while it dries will help keep it straight.

I made two brackets by cutting another jumbo popsicle stick at a 45 degree angle. I cut the end off of each one…

… so it wouldn’t stick out from under the shelf once glued in place.

Add stain/paint/etc if desired.

Once dry, push all the hooks into the holes completely. Use wire cutters to snip off the excess from the back, getting as close to the wood as possible. Add a drop of glue (I’m using superglue here) for some added strength.

Seal everything with varnish (if you haven’t already) and your bridle rack is complete!

Hang it up, fill it up and enjoy. 🙂

Read Full Post »

New Props!

When I saw this jump by Hobo Cat Creations listed for sale, I knew I had to have it.

moosejump01

This is the first jump I’ve purchased from another hobbyist, and I’m so glad I did because it’s so cute! I am literally surrounded by pine and birch trees, and while I haven’t seen any moose, they have been spotted around my property so it all just fits. 😀

I’m also such a sucker for western/northwest stuff too. 😉

Anyway, I’m really pleased with this jump.

moosejump04

I love the detail of the poles, and the jump cups are well made and easy to use.

moosejump02

Here it is compared to my Flash model:

moosejump03

Thanks again, Amber! If you’re looking for some nice, affordable jumps or props, check out her work on her website and Facebook page!

Another awesome find was this performance obstacle guide, (POG for short) made by Michelle Masters:

pog

It has measurements for jump heights and distances (for ground poles) on each side. The best part is that it’s all scaled for Traditional models. As someone who is easily confused with all that, this tool will be incredibly helpful! I found it listed on MH$P. 🙂

Now I just need to get my butt in gear and make tack for my horses, ha!

Read Full Post »

Mini Brushes

I’ve neglected the grooming kit project for ages, but finally have another few pieces to add to it:

brushes03

Like the posts I’ve done on the mane brushes and hoof picks, this isn’t quite a tutorial. Also, these things are extremely tedious to make, but I think the end result is worth it.

For the bristles, I used some cheap hair extensions I bought off of ebay.

brushes05

I used a popsicle stick to sketch out the size, then used an exacto blade and sandpaper to get the shape I wanted.

brushes06

This is a pin vise – it’s a hand held drill that allows me to drill different sizes of holes, depending on the bit used.

brushes07

I used this to drill multiple holes in the wood, being careful not to go too deep. A lot of the splintering I was able to sand away later, but I found it hard to avoid.

brushes08

To add the bristles, I would cut off a length of hair in the amount I wanted, then trim one edge flush.

brushes09

I added a bit of glue to the end and stuck it inside one of the holes, working from one end to the other.

brushes010

This really was the most frustrating part. Synthetic hair is quite slippery and the tacky glue I was using didn’t set fast enough. I did end up switching to Fabri-Tac and that worked out a lot better. Fabri-Tac is what I like to call the “cold” hot glue, as it sets fast and is very tacky. (unfortunately it also comes with those annoying glue strings/”cobwebs”) It was definitely a trial and error thing though.

Eventually I got the entire piece covered:

brushes011

After letting it set for a bit, I trimmed down the bristles. The wood got a coat of varnish and I added a scrap leather strap across the top:

brushes012

The others were made pretty much the same way, but I did experiment with different shapes and thicknesses of wood. The brown one was made using an old paintbrush instead of the hair. It’s very soft while the others are more stiff. (hey like full-size brushes, woohoo!)

brushes013

brushes02

I’d like to experiment with different materials, and I have tons of hair left over so I’m sure I’ll be making more in the future!

brushes04

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »