This week’s project was a Portuguese/Baroque inspired bridle, made to fit Alborozo.

This bridle was another one of those pieces that just didn’t want to be made. Eventually I got it to cooperate with me, but that was after losing tiny pieces, breaking pieces, dropping stuff in glue, etc etc…

All of the metal pieces are from Rio Rondo. I’ve never made anything so decked out in silver before!

And I’ve never tried a Spanish-type bridle either so this was fun, when it wasn’t fighting me of course. πŸ˜‰

One thing I had trouble with were the metal keepers that came with the hardware sheet. They are too wide for the lace when folded and break easily. It was suggested to glue the pieces on leather keepers instead, which worked out a lot better.

I wanted to keep the edges silver though, so they got a touch of silver alcohol ink. I really like the end result, and unless you look really close, they imitate the look of metal keepers fairly well.

I struggled a lot with the fit but I’m hoping that’s another thing that will get better with practice. There are some things about it that bother me (there’s always something) but overall I’m happy with how it came together.

Tiny Trophies

I’ve added to my collection of horse show awards:

This includes trophies, silver plates and statues.

This is kind of a tutorial, but like many of my “tutorials” it’s more of a creative-process type post. I’ve stuck it under Tutorials anyway, and I will try to explain how I made each one as best I can!

Starting with the easiest, the silver plates.

These were made from large buttons.

The holes were covered with circles of cardstock, then the entire thing was covered with silver alcohol ink. (I love this stuff) Here they are with their first coat:

These usually have some sort of engraving in the center, but I left mine plain as I didn’t trust myself to free-hand a design. One way to put a custom design in the center would be to print on a clear label sheet, cut it to size and stick it on.
The gold stands were bent from wire, after doing a quick google search on plate stands. πŸ™‚

Next, the gold horse:

The base was cut and sanded to shape from a piece of craft wood, then stained with watered down paint. The gold piece was cut from the edge of a Rio-Rondo parts sheet.

The horse is a H0/model railroad scale horse, painted gold.

The horse bust was my attempt at making a “bronze” statue.

The head was also made from a H0 scale horse. I had a duplicate of this one so off went it’s head!

This was difficult and potentially dangerous SO please be careful if you’re going to try this yourself. A mini whinny would be easier to cut through, I think. (or sculpt one if you’re feeling brave!)

The base was cut from a square dowel using a mitre box. (which is another new favorite thing!)

I mixed up a blob of magic sculpt to even out the bottom, and once that was cured, covered it in paint.

The “bronze” coloring was made by mixing brown and metallic gold paint together, dry brushed over a black layer. There are probably a dozen better ways to do it – this is just an attempt from what I had on hand. The gold piece was cut from a large gold sequin instead of the metal this time.

Next, the trophies. Ohhh… those darned trophies… >_<

The bases were cut from wood…

Then covered with holographic-patterned paper I printed up off the internet. A metallic scrapbook or wrapping paper might look better, but like I said I was trying to use what I had! πŸ™‚ I covered the pattern with a piece of clear packing tape before wrapping it around each piece.

All of the other pieces – the bases and toppers – were sculpted from black polymer clay. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos showing this, as the pieces were super tiny and super fiddly and my patience was wearing thin. Once they were baked I glued them all together with drops of E6000, hoped they would stay glued together, then covered them with a coat of gold ink.

Last, but not least, the trophy cup.

The shape of the cup was made by wrapping polymer clay around a sharpie. I wrapped that in foil beforehand, so I could slide it off easier, then left the foil in the cup until after it was baked.

There was a second cup made around the larger mascara tube, but it didn’t turn out very well. πŸ˜›

I added two handles and a (somewhat lopsided) base afterward, then painted the entire thing silver once it was baked. It was a pain to sculpt though. Next time, I think I’ll hunt down a plastic doll trophy and repaint that instead! XD

Even More Halters

Soo… this week has been rough. :/ But I’ve been making more halters every day after work, sinceΒ I’m apparently in one of my halter-making-moods. (they’re easy and fun to make, what can I say?)

There are more reflective halters:

Break-away halters:

A padded halter and a couple striped ones too:

The blue striped one is the one that started all this. I got distracted looking up tack ideas for my new Andalusian mare and stumbled across a photo of one in a pretty, blue-striped halter.

I couldn’t re-create it exactly, but this is still pretty close.

The padded halter looks ok on the horse…

But I think I need to re-work some things on it still.

In addition to all the halters, samples of my new fabric patterns arrived in the mail. I wasted no time in turning them into saddle pads.

They’re so TACKY, hahaha! πŸ˜€

My Etsy shop will be stocked with most (not all) of these items soon, so keep an eye out if you’re interested. πŸ™‚