Posts Tagged ‘breyer tack’

I’m attempting to make at least one tack piece every month this year. This weekend I had time to put together the first, a western bridle made to fit Breyer’s “Wyatt” mold:

This was based off a photo of a Billy Royal bridle. I chose it because there were two new things I wanted to try making: the knotted browband and the leather ties attaching it to the bit.


The browband was a lot easier than I thought it would be. (good reference photos help so much!) The stitching shouldn’t go all the way to the end though. I always make my browbands too big at first, and made the mistake of adding the stitches before fitting it properly. Something to keep in mind for next time anyway…!

But aside from that minor detail, I’m really happy with this bridle.

The leather ties work just like the full-sized ones do. There’s no way I’ll be changing the bit out though, so they are glued in place, but I love the added detail.

I also love details like this, which you can’t even see but it’s still there so it makes me happy:

So, January? Done! February…? I have ideas…

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Long time no post? It’s been… nearly a month already, yikes. I have been busy with work and Etsy orders and life, but in between all that I’ve been poking at personal hobby projects.

One was a white bridle for Breyer’s Friesian, which I finished up this week. It was made to look like ones commonly used in a Friesian “Keuring” or inspection.

Horses are typically shown in a white bitted bridle. I opted for a plain snaffle on mine (which is a jump ring and seed bead) as that’s what I kept seeing in reference photos.

And I did cheat a bit with the lead rope, using twisted embroidery thread instead of leather. I don’t think it really matters as I’ve seen both on real horses. 🙂

One thing I couldn’t ignore was the amount of keepers… this bridle has fourteen of them!

Keepers are one of those things I love for their detail and hate because they are fiddly to make.

It came together nicely in the end though. I think my strap work has improved a lot this year.

Read Full Post »

Turnout Blanket

Another blanket was finished up this weekend.

Like Henry’s blanket, I tried several new things with this one.

I’ve been wanting to make a turnout blanket for a while now. The challenge was how to add gussets – those triangle shaped pieces – and keep them neat and in scale-ish with the rest of the blanket. I tried this a long time ago and it wasn’t working at all. Lately the idea’s been nagging at me, so I approached it differently and the end result was much, much better.

Sometimes it just helps to leave ideas on the back-burner for a while.

Another thing I wanted to try was a two-toned blanket. This was a lot easier than I thought it would be, so now I’m eager to try combining solid colors with all my goofy prints. XD

It was very time consuming but I’m happy with how it came together in the end.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »