Posts Tagged ‘bridle’

Over the years I’ve collected a lot of hardware for tack making. A lot of pieces were tag-along items to Rio Rondo orders I was placing anyway, but I never realized just how much I had until I piled it all together. I’m not even sure what I have to be honest, and that’s embarrassing.

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to use up what I’ve got, so that’s exactly what I’ve been trying to do.

The next project to tackle was an English Hackamore.

I admit I’m a bit hesitant to share this – I’m afraid of being accused of copying another artist when the reality is just a coincidence. :/ I tried to make mine as different as I could though, so hopefully it’s ok.

The Portuguese bridle fought me but that was nothing compared to the hackamore. This one seriously made me wonder why I even bother at all. Does anyone else ever feel that way? It probably doesn’t help that I’ve been feeling out of sorts for a couple weeks now.

Another problem could be that this is a first attempt at a hackamore. My real horse knowledge is lacking (and probably shows, haha) but I’m trying. 😦

Still, I managed to finish it in the end, and there are plenty of things about it that irritate me, but it’s done!

And it’s nice to have another useable bridle in my tack collection.

On to the next project…


Read Full Post »

This week’s project was a Portuguese/Baroque inspired bridle, made to fit Alborozo.

This bridle was another one of those pieces that just didn’t want to be made. Eventually I got it to cooperate with me, but that was after losing tiny pieces, breaking pieces, dropping stuff in glue, etc etc…

All of the metal pieces are from Rio Rondo. I’ve never made anything so decked out in silver before!

And I’ve never tried a Spanish-type bridle either so this was fun, when it wasn’t fighting me of course. 😉

One thing I had trouble with were the metal keepers that came with the hardware sheet. They are too wide for the lace when folded and break easily. It was suggested to glue the pieces on leather keepers instead, which worked out a lot better.

I wanted to keep the edges silver though, so they got a touch of silver alcohol ink. I really like the end result, and unless you look really close, they imitate the look of metal keepers fairly well.

I struggled a lot with the fit but I’m hoping that’s another thing that will get better with practice. There are some things about it that bother me (there’s always something) but overall I’m happy with how it came together.

Read Full Post »

So far, my project for NMTM is off to a good start. I’m going to attempt to document as much of it as I can this month, so there will probably be a lot of blog posts about it. 😛

I started by clearing off my work space and gathered some of the materials. I’m paranoid about making tack for resins (I think this is why I’ll be an OF girl always, haha!) so Woodbridge has a soft piece of material to cover him up. I feel a little better about moving him around my desk now.

I’ve decided to start with the bridle first, beginning with the noseband. Yes, I skive lace on a wooden block. No, I don’t recommend it, as it’s easy for the blade to get stuck in the wood. But it’s what I’ve got for now. I’ve found it easier to have the lace up higher while skiving. I don’t hunch over quite as much this way, and it helps me keep the blade as horizontal as possible, helping reduce the amount of times I slice through the lace. (well, sometimes)

Skiving lace has gotten easier for me too. I use a lot of short, light strokes, taking off layers of fuzz rather than big pieces. It’s more time consuming that way but it seems to work for me. 🙂

Anyway, I cut the noseband out of a piece of 1/4″ lace, then after skiving it, added two loops for the cheek pieces. After cutting off the excess to shape it, I added stitchmarking and a decorative bit of “stitching” in the center. This would have shown up a lot better if I had used tooling leather instead of lace, so I went over it with a touch of gold paint to bring it out instead.

The second piece of the noseband is super tiny:

The ends of the straps are glued to the underside of the noseband piece. I covered those ends with very thin strips of lace, to add a little more strength. There’s probably a better way to do this but I think it’ll work for now.

On the horse:

I figured this was a good stopping point for the day- hooray for progress!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »