Posts Tagged ‘old tack’

Besides a bunch of ribbon halters…

… and random pieces from Rio Rondo kits:

… there are a few more pieces of old tack that I forgot about until I started organizing it all. The most interesting are a couple of racing saddles.

The first, materials aside, isn’t too awful. It did have stirrups at one point, but they were probably used for another saddle later on. I still have the leathers but there was no way I was going to try and re-attach them. XD

It originally had a green felt pad instead of the hot pink, and a simple snaffle bridle that’s disappeared.

There was a second, made from a thinner suede-like material. I never finished it, but THAT’S no surprise!

Next is the first (and only!) Classic scale western bridle I’ve made. Bouncer can almost fit in it… from this side, anyway, shh! πŸ˜‰


My first blankets were made for my Classics, cut from green felt. It was years and years before I made one for my Traditionals, but I did make a couple fly sheets. I think I was excited to use the material I had found, and they were probablyΒ based off of this one by Breyer.

Sheza Good Sport got one in purple:

And Like a Diamond got a green, complete with leg straps:

Both are kind of falling apart but I can’t get rid of either of them! πŸ˜€

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Early Arabian Tack

I used to make A LOT of Arabian tack. It’s been several years since I’ve made anything new, and while I’ve tried to get back into it, the interest just isn’t there right now.

But it was really appealing to me when I first got started in the hobby. I was really inspired by Liz Shaw of “Arabian Acres” (now “Tick Tock Studio,” but I don’t know if she’s active in the hobby anymore 😦 ) and spent so much time on her website, admiring all her costumes and collection of gorgeous Arabian models, most painted and haired by Faye Cohen. ❀

One thing I loved about Arabian tack was that I could find all of the materials I needed at a local craft store. The cost to make it was also much, much less than the cost of making leather pieces, so that was a plus for the jobless-teenage me. πŸ˜› (fun fact – tack making, especially when you’re first starting out, can get really expensive really fast!)

I posted pictures in the past of my firstΒ and second Arabian costumes, but I don’t think I’ve ever shown all the (surviving) halters, so here goes!

First, a ribbon halter:

It’s so cringe-y and the chains are WAY too long and unsafe, and I want to say I put it together with a glue gun.

Here’s an early attempt at a braided halter.

The chain is better, but really tarnished.

Here’s a different style. If I remember right this was going to have a Hollywood style breastcollar and costume made to go with it.

I got really interested in Native style tack, so here’s a first attempt at a braided halter with cowrie shells. Getting better!

I’ve always liked the texture and color of this halter. It was made by blending two shades of blue together.

Here’s another costume attempt, also in the Hollywood style. I wanted to make something that would fit over an english saddle (like what’s commonly used in the show ring) but it just wasn’t working, so I gave up.

Lastly, here’s another native style halter. I did post photos of this one (years and years ago) and even though the chain is STILL way too long, I’ve always liked it.

That super tiny three strand braid took FOREVER.

I can’t see myself getting back into Arabian tack anytime soon, but you never know! Seeing these old pieces again has definitely inspired me some. πŸ™‚

Read Full Post »

Old Stablemate Tack

While attempting to organize some of my boxes of miniatures, I came across a bunch of old SM tack I made years ago. Aside from my customs, my remaining SM herd is all boxed up, so I thought it would be fun to get them out and play dress up. πŸ™‚

When I first started collecting, I would go through the Breyer box catalogs and attempt to re-create the tack and props I saw pictured for my Stablemates. At the time being able to afford a traditional scale Breyer and all the accessories to go with it was pretty much a dream, so it only made sense to try and make it all myself. This was before I discovered the hobby existed online… once that happened I was completely hooked. πŸ˜›

Up first, a lovely show cooler, probably based off of this one. I didn’t have any plaid or even solid colored fabric so I had to settle with the flowers. I think I may have some more stashed away somewhere…

sheet2

sheet1

This is supposedly a bosal bridle, made from embroidery floss and a big old plastic bead.

bosal

Here’s a simple felt bareback pad…

bareback1

bareback2

And an English saddle, also made from felt and complete with paperclip stirrups!

saddle1

saddle2

I also made tons of little props. I can remember a grooming box with micro-sized brushes, ground poles, multiple jumps, and a cavaletti set off the top of my head. Sadly, all that’s left now is a couple of feed bags:

feedbags

Several years later I tried making SM tack again, armed with a little more knowledge this time.

Here’s a second bareback pad, also made from felt but stitched together.

bareback3

bareback4

I attempted to make another English saddle:

saddle3

saddle4

As well as a western one. It used to have a horn and a girth…

western1

I also started an Arabian costume, but never finished it.

costume1

costume2

In 2008-ish I made a harness:

harness

I didn’t want to even attempt to put this back together, so here’s a picture of it I dug up from an old post:

smharness1

It’s fun to revisit these old pieces, and even though part of me is tempted to try making more mini tack, I think I’ll stick with the larger stuff for now. XD

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »